Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

Sockbridge and Tirril Community

The Queen's Head

Sockbridge and Tirril Community History of the Queen's Head

The Queen’s Head in the village of Tirril is celebrating 300 years of serving beer to the public. It has been known as the Queen’s Head for the most part but was called the Victoria Inn from 1867-1901. It appears to have been the only Inn in the village, although there is mention of the Board Inn in a directory of 1829.

As part of the Community History Group we are researching the history of buildings of interest in Tirril and the timeline given below contains the information we have found so far for the Queen’s Head from various sources.  There are many gaps so please do get in touch if you have any additional information. Contact helen_dave@compuserve.com

Timeline

Date Information Source

1719

Pub established in the village

1787

Number of persons in Sockbridge 164, one innkeeper, Dorothy Walker (widow)

1787 Census, West Ward, Westmorland

1816

Queens Head among the property purchases of Richard Wordsworth in Barton Parish before his death.  Richard Wordsworth was the grandson of Richard Wordsworth, agent to Sir James Lowther. He was a Lawyer in London and brother to William, Christopher and John. Richard’s property was left to his son John who was 1 year old when his father died

Penrith Observer 25/4/1950

1829

John Bewsher was a victualler, wheelwright and joiner at the Board Inn in Sockbridge

Parson and White Directory of Cumberland and Westmorland

1836

John Wordsworth came into his inheritance and Queens Head offered for sale by auction at the Crown Hotel, Penrith.  There were no bids.  A few months later in August the sale of the Queen’s Head was accomplished with John Wordsworth, his two uncles, the poet, William, and Dr Christopher Wordsworth joining in the conveyance to John Bewsher the younger, yeoman.  With the inn went a dwelling house adjoining with a barn and byre and closes called Croft Garth and Baker’s Garth.

Penrith Observer 25/4/1950

1839

Cuthbert Lancaster, innkeeper, Tirril, husband of Elizabeth nee Bewsher

Will of John Bewsher Snr written 27/12/1839

1851

John Bewsher, victualler, Queen’s Head, Tirril

Mannex and Co. Directory of Westmorland

Sockbridge and Tirril Community History of the Queen's Head
Date Information Source

1858

John Bewsher was a farmer and brewer at the Queen’s Head. He died there in November 1866 aged 64. The property passed to Mary Ann Murray, his daughter, the wife of John Murray.

Penrith Observer 25/4/1950

1867

Inn Brewery and lands at Tirril to let, the Victoria Inn, Tirril and brewery adjoining and ten acres of meadow or pasture land immediately behind the Inn and the remainder on Tirril Moor all late in the occupation of Mr John Bewsher deceased. Application to be made to Mr Joseph Robinson of Penrith, wine merchant, of Mr William Hogarth of Deepdale Hall (Trustees of the will of said John Bewsher).

Cumberland and Westmorland Advertiser 8/1/1867

1871

Victoria Inn, William Hall, Innkeeper and Farmer of ten acres, aged 52 and his wife Mary, 50, daughters Mary A, 14 and Margaret E, 9 and sons Isaac W, 12 and Fred, 6.

ONS Census returns

1881

Victoria Inn, Mary Bell, Innkeeper aged 51, niece Mary R Dickman, aged 30, barmaid

ONS Census returns

1891

Victoria Inn, Joseph Robinson 54, Innkeeper, wife Maria 46.

ONS Census returns

1901

Queen’s Head, Francis Biddle, Farmer and Innkeeper, wife Elizabeth

ONS Census returns

1910

Assessment no 237. Queens Head Inn and Garden, Thomas Walker occupier, Glasson’s Penrith Breweries Ltd Lessees from Mrs Murray

Valuation Book North Westmorland